FREE Colorado Cell Phone Program
The government created a new public assistance for communication and the program is called “free government cell phone”. Since 2008, the free cell phone assistance is manage by Lifeline/Link-up together with Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). The mission of the program is to provide a discounted or free Colorado cell phone and phone service to those who cant afford it.
Currently, the free government cell phone program serves 37 states plus Washington and Puerto Rico. As of the moment Colorado is not yet included among the free cell phone program’s scope of assistance. You cannot get a free Colorado cell phone yet. In 2009, a proposal for a free cell phone program was submitted by TracFone to Colorado Public Utilities Commission to provide a free Colorado cell phone and service service among the low income residents. Until now, free cell phone service is still not granted to Colorado residents. There is no exact answer to acceptance of the proposal.
The program is offered by a number of phone service carriers but the three biggest carriers are Safelink Wireless, Assurance Wireless and Reach out Wireless. Once the proposal for a free Colorado cell phone program is approved in Colorado, the most likely provider will be Safelink since they’re the one who sent out a proposal for the free cell phone service.
Safelink Wireless Colorado Cell Phone Plan
The free cell phone service is not yet available in Colorado. However if the service is approved the Colorado residents may get the following phone service features:
• 68, 125 or 250 Cell Phone Service Plan Minutes.
• International Long Distance Accessibility, (68 minute plan only.)
• Carry-over of unused minutes depending upon the recipient’s plan choice. (Not eligible for 250 minutes plan.)
• One Year Activation of Alabama cell phone service.
• Ability to use TracFone Airtime cards with easy accessibility from stores and pharmacies and buy more minutes.
• Power features like Call Waiting, Caller Id and Voicemail service.
• Air time is automatically refilled each month
• Free 911
• Free Roaming
• Change plans at any time.
Safe Link Wireless Colorado Cell Phone Program Contact Information
9700 N.W. 112th Avenue
Miami, FL 33178
Plan Support Contact: 1-800-977-3768
Technical Support Contact: 1-800-378-1684
Am I Eligible for Free Colorado Cell Phone?
Colorado low income residents can not take advantage of the program yet because the proposal for the service is not yet approved and hopefully not rejected. But in qualifying for free cell phone and cell phone service you must be a participant of one of the following government public assistance program:
• Food Stamps
• TANG–Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
• SSI–Supplemental Security Income
• National School Lunch–But only if you get FREE lunches.
• LIHEAP–Low Income Home Energy Assistance
• Federal Public Housing Assistance/Section 8
If you’re not a participating from one of the above public service assistance and your total household income is at or less than 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, then you are still qualify for the free cell phone program.
How To Get Free Colorado Cell Phone?
Once the government free cell phone program is available in Colorado, the residents just need to meet the qualification to get the service. If they’re a member of one of the government assistance program or if they belong to the low income resident then they can apply for the free program application by visiting these sites:
Note, that applicants must sign up for the application under their state’s link, using a valid physical address to verify the application.